As we age, we become more prone to illnesses and injuries. This may affect your mobility, coordination, balance, strength and flexibility, and it may also cause pain. Physiotherapy can help old people to move easier and perform their daily tasks with little to no help from another person. Let’s get to know the different types of physiotherapy and some of the conditions or diseases that it can treat.
Types of Physiotherapy
- Ultrasound – in this type of physiotherapy, sound waves that are high pitched are used for relaxing the muscles. This is often done before and after the patient exercised.
- Heat Therapy – this is performed to relax the muscles, loosen joints, as well as to enhance the circulation of blood in the system. This is also done prior to exercise and is often a treatment for those who have difficulties moving.
- Cold Therapy – ice massage and ice packs are often used in this type of therapy. It’s used to treat inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Hydrotherapy – water is used in this type of therapy. It’s often performed for relaxing the body, as well as improving blood circulation and maintaining health.
- Manual Therapy – as the term suggests, the therapist uses his hand to massage the patient. This allows patients to feel more relaxed. It also improves flexibility and reduces pain.
Diseases That It Can Treat
- Arthritis – this is one of the most common conditions on seniors. This is the inflammation of joints, which causes pain and difficulty moving. Physiotherapy can help alleviate inflammation and pain.
- Alzheimer’s – the physiotherapist helps the patient with some exercise that could help in improving the memory.
- Incontinence – there are exercises that are thought to prevent this condition.
- Parkinson’s Disease – patients also do specific exercises to prevent robotic movements caused by this disease.
- Stroke – physiotherapy helps strengthen the weak parts of the body due to stroke.
Physiotherapy is offered in different cities in Canada including North York. Find a professional physiotherapist in North York that is trusted in this field and has the right training and experience.